Senior Software Developer (Back-end)
As a senior software developer, you love shipping code which touches all layers of the exciting Uniiverse tech stack. You love crafting rock-solid and scalable APIs in Rails, then consuming them in Ember.js (to be styled by the front-end and iOS teams). You're comfortable owning and improving sophisticated business logic, and integrating it with our homegrown search, graph, and billing APIs.
Join us in changing the world
Imagine building a web platform that will change the way people think and improve how they live their lives.
Uniiverse is a funded startup backed by sophisticated angel investors. We are building a social marketplace for real life activities and services. Our primary dimensions are social, local and temporal. For more information, watch these videos:
- Driven by a strong vision / manifesto (video)
- Ambitious concept / product (video)
- We're shaping a new industry: the sharing economy (video)
You must be passionate about the above, be a positive, driven and motivated individual, and be excited about building high-quality product.
We're flexible but looking to grow our team immediately
- Product development: own development of the core product APIs and business logic
- Scalability: identify and optimize performance bottlenecks
- Big data: implement data collection services and analyze large data sets to improve personalization and recommendations
- Integrity: craft automated tests and tools
Back-end tech that we love
- Ruby on Rails, Sinatra
- MongoDB, Neo4j, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Redis
- Sidekiq, Resque
- REST, OAuth, Facebook Graph, Twitter, Google+ APIs
- Node.js, Phantom.js
Front-end tech that we love
- Mocha, Testacular, Chai
- JSON / PJAX / AJAX
- HTML5 / CSS3
- HAML, SASS, Handlebars
- Competitive salary and fun perks
- Stock options
- Health benefits
- Whatever top-of-the-line equipment you need to get the job done
- Learn how to build a massively scalable social web application in a sexy technology stack
- Fun, healthy and results-oriented start-up culture
- Valuable references
You must be
- Excited about building quality product
- An independent, fast-learning, self starter who takes ownership over solving ambiguous problems
- Energetic, passionate (does not matter about what!), and driven
Desired skills & experience
- Proficient in Ruby 1.9 and Rails 3
- Experienced in development of RESTful APIs and back-end business logic
- Excited about BDD, automated deployment, fixing bugs, and shipping code
- Familiar with Ember.js, MongoDB, Amazon Web Services (AWS), OAuth, Facebook Graph API
- Bonus if you are: savvy with machine learning / natural language processing / recommendation algorithms / graph databases
Uniiverse is a social marketplace for people to share real life activities and services. Our vision is to encourage real life interactions in today’s increasingly virtual world and to help people live better, together. The company believes everyone has something unique to offer and share. We are backed by a group of sophisticated investors, and growing rapidly.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, links to your GitHub, LinkedIn, Twitter, and technical blog.
$2,000* if the person you recommend is hired.
* Payable for full time employee hires (i.e. contractors and freelancers excluded), for this particular dev position, after the completion of any probationary period, if applicable. Does not apply to candidates with whom Uniiverse was already in contact.